Sunday 30 November 2008

AUDI A4 - and the mystery key !!

I was visiting my relatives, who have an Audi TT. So my brother in law wanted to have a look at the Audi - he sat in side, played with the controls etc.

He then declared he could start the car without my key. Well I knew this wasn't possible, since I had the key and there is no other fancy option to start this car.

He then started the car, much to my amazement!

How? Well apparently there is a back up key in the glove box. Nobody had told me about this backup key. It is a plastic key which fits into a spare plastic key body. The key body fits into the socket like the normal key - but doesn't have any electronic functionality. However once the other piece of plastic is inserted..it appears to work like any other key.

So I have been driving around with the spare sitting in the unlocked glovebox the whole time. How unsafe is that. I wonder how many other Audi drivers are now in the same situation. Does the insurance cover this?

No comments: