Tuesday 11 November 2008

Audi Economics - Fuel and Tax

From the maths I did before getting the Audi A4, I knew it would be a significant saving over running the XC70 from Volvo. However with all of these good ideas, you never really know if the theory will work in practise.

One big saving area was in fuel consumption. Now with the diesel price dropping, the saving is less.. but is it significant, now after 1000miles - how is it working out. The car is saying it is making 44mpg on average since new.. now I don't know how the average works though.

One thing that used to frustrate me with the Volvo was that despite the big 70litre tank, you always felt you were filling the car up. My weekly business mileage was 4 round trips of 36miles and then one trip of around 240.. now in reality this seemed to use up the tank !! despite the average being about 35mpg. With the Audi, I can make 7 round trips of 36 miles plus the 240 trip.. on less than 60 litres. The fact I don't have to visit the petrol station every week.. is already a telling the story of saving money.. I always seemed to be at the station before.. with some bills at £85+.. I just filled up at Sainsbury using a voucher and got 58litres for under £60. So approx £30-40 saving per week less versus 6 months ago.

I am waiting for the end of the month to see if the tax saving will be identified. However tax saving I expect to be around £400 per month. So compared to this time 6 months, the total saving of tax and fuel must be well over £500 per month. There is no way the Volvo was worth £500 per month more than this Audi A4.

No comments: